Chin Implant Types
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Jaw & Chin Surgeries and other Cosmetic Surgery topics.
What types of chin implants can I get and are they safe?
You hate leaks...gossip leaks, intel leaks, plot leaks, water leaks. You're afraid of silicone but you know the time has come to expand--not your chest, but your chin. You want chin implants. You were willing to spend a combined $23 million in 2004 with chin implant prices and surgeon's fees. Although chin augmentation has declined 41 percent in popularity from 2000 to 2004 (15,822 chin reduction and chin implant surgery procedures in 2004, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons), you still want a better chin. but do you risk mad cow disease or silicone leakage? Your chin implants could consist of:
- Bone grafts--they may be quickly reabsorbed and become infected, but they come from you
- Skin grafts--it's better if they don't come from you, since there's a high risk of absorption. You may be better off with chin implants from a cadaver or a family member.
- Infant and bovine collagen. This is primarily used in reconstructive surgery, so relax if you're afraid of baby surgeries, bovine hormones and mad cow. The baby cells usually come from the foreskin after circumcision, so you don't have to get into ethically tricky stem cell issues. Also, with bovine collagen, there's no evidence that mad cow disease can start in the skin.
- Silicone--Has the potential to leak, and hard implants fill out the skin, not the bone structure. However, silicone chin implants rarely cause chemical reactions.
- Hydroxyapatite Implants are made of porous coral that adheres strongly to the bone. Also available in an injectable filler.
- Injectable fillers--range from hyaluronic acid to bovine collagen to silicone (which the FDA hasn't approved for cosmetic use).
With some injections, the chin augmentation effects may be permanent. You're not limited to fears of silicone leakage, but consult with your doctor. Photos of you as you age or photos of you before and after an accident or trauma as well as an analysis of your physique will give your doctor clues as to which chin implant surgery is right for you. Now you can forget to be angry that your doctor leaked the plot of the season opener of "Desperate Housewives."